Developers use a wide range of programming languages to create custom software for consumers and businesses. Many of today’s top programming languages have become more general and all-purpose; however, not all languages are the same. Programming languages still have their own specializations. They also range from high level to low level, with low level meaning that the syntax is friendlier for machines and high level meaning the syntax is friendlier for humans.
Top Programming Languages Used In Software Development
There are literally hundreds of programming languages available but not every developer learns all of the languages. Instead, they master some of the most popular programming languages to deliver customers with the best quality coding available. Some of the top programming languages used in custom software development include the following:
Python is a general-purpose programming language that is easy to learn, making it a popular language for beginners. Python works on various platforms such as Windows, Linux, Mac and Raspberry Pi.
Python’s syntax is similar to the English language which makes it simple to understand. The programming language also operates on an interpreter system, which allows the code to be executed immediately after it is written. Thus, it is a great language to use for custom software applications.
- Easy to learn, read and write
- Leads to improved productivity
- Available under the OSI approved open-source license
- Free to use and distribute
- The standard library of Python is massive
- Program is portable across all operating systems
- Is widely supported
Java is an object-oriented programming language that is class-based and designed specifically to have minimal implementation dependencies. Java code is able to run on every platform that supports Java due to its “write once, run anywhere” (WORA) capabilities.
Like Python, Java is designed to be easy to learn and enables high performance. Due to its versatility, Java can be used for nearly any programming task, including custom software application development.
- Design- and user-friendly
- Has Shock allocation system which promotes easy data storage
- Is platform-dependent
- Has automatic memory allocation and garbage collection
- Considered the safest programming language
- Is object-oriented, allowing for the creation of reusable code and modular programs
- Designed to be easy to write, compile, learn and debug
- Portability allows Java to easily move from one system to the next
C# is a multi-paradigm, general-purpose programming language that is object-oriented. The language was developed by Microsoft and is heavily based on C and C++ programming languages. C# is a preferred programming language for desktops and web applications that run on Windows computers.
Although it is one of the newer languages currently on the market, there are plenty of libraries and resources dedicated to this popular language.
- It is backwards compatible
- Object-oriented language
- Cross platform
- Automatic garbage collection
- Simple to implement
- Eliminates the issue of memory leaks
- Lower maintenance costs
- Has a familiar syntax that is similar to C, C++ and Java
- Support is available for purchase
- Fast speed as it can be run immediately within the client-side browser
- Is used nearly everywhere on the web
- Is relatively simple to learn and implement
- Low server load as client-side reduces the server demand
- Works well with other languages
- Promotes the creation of rich interfaces
Ruby is a general purpose, high level programming language developed in Japan in the mid-1990s. This popular scripting language is designed for use in front-end and back-end web development and other applications.
The object-oriented language features a high-level syntax that is easy to understand and is similar to coding in English. The open-sourced language is designed to be both productive and fun.
- User-friendly, fast and efficient
- Offers a large community with countless learning resources and online tutorials
- Syntax is simple and easily understood
- Ruby on Rails is known as one of the best frameworks available
- More power and object-oriented than other programming languages
- Excellent option for first-time programmers
- Available on the market for free
Speak To A Professional Custom Software Development Company
Programming languages allow computers to quickly and efficiently process complex and large amounts of information. There are many different programming languages used by modern developers but not all are widely-known. Consumers or businesses interested in custom software development will want to learn what programming language is used by their developers to help determine what they can expect from the software.